Sunday, October 3, 2010

Saturday at the Hut - 10/2/10

It was "Day of the Crazies" at The Tobacco Hut today. First, let me take roll call: In attendance were Joe K, Steve B, Barry C, Vic, Lou (of course), and myself. Barry came too late to see the first crazy, but her name was Marion or something. She barged in, announced who she was, her age (62), and flirted with every man in the room, quizzing us on how long we'd been married.

She took a particular shine to Joe and Vic. Joe because he - well - he flirted right back with her. It was kind of embarrassing, especially after I had just seen pictures of him from his recent trip to Pennsylvania wearing nothing but shorts while chopping wood.

She thought Vic was particularly handsome and made some comment that if he'd not been married she would throw herself at him. Vic tried to look flattered, but I think he threw up a little bit in his mouth at the thought.

It was good to see Vic now that he's given up the Empire State for the Sunshine State. He's been a little busy this past month with buying a new house, but I think retired life is definitely going to agree with him.

Steve and I tried to ignore Crazy Marion and conduct a little business as she was bouncing from man to man. We're on the verge of getting his website up and running - watch this space for the announcement shortly!

I enjoyed a bowlful of Lou's most excellent English blend - Baker Street - in my Ser Jacopo. This is a pipe I've owned for over 20 years and it always smokes like a dream. It brought out nice hints of the Latakia in Baker Street, without letting the Virginia take over the smoke.

Barry arrived later in the afternoon and we all argued a little about Derek "Cheater" Jeter, his favorite player on the Yankees. Vic and Barry were at the game when the "pitch heard 'round the world" occurred. They even spotted Rays manager Joe Maddon in the stands a few rows away from them after he was ejected for arguing with the umpire.

Apparently, Barry's loyalty to the Yankees doesn't run as deep as we all thought. Here's the proof. The photo to the left was snapped as some jealous fan was trying to grab his prized Rays hat from his head. I was assured that he got his hat back, with nary a punch thrown or harsh word exchanged.

Lou gave me a prized possession of his while I was at the Hut. A photograph of him and Dotty taken at their daughter's first wedding in the mid-70s. It was an 8x10 and had suffered a little wear and tear over the years. He asked if I could bring it back into shape and I was glad to do it. Of course, I have to post the picture here so everyone can see Lou in a tuxedo, and his fancy Ted Koppel-like haircut. Dotty, of course, looks stunning in the photo and didn't need any retouching to bring out her beauty. Lou, on the other hand, required so much work that even my brand new iMac (thanks Joe!) wasn't up to the task and kept crashing. Anyway, enjoy the before and after photos of Lou "The Early Days" Search! Click on each image to enlarge.




Until next week...

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Bob for the report. You could improve the photo more by removing Lou altogether.I think the same can be said about any photo involving me.Barry didn't get mad about the hat because he has one of each team with him. MIKE G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed discovering your blog. I look forward to reading more!

    Thanks for linking to A Passion for Pipes. It's how I found you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed finding your blog. Great read. I'd love to visit the shop and meet some of the guys.

    Thanks for linking to A Passion for Pipes. It is how I found you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind words, Zulu. There's always room for another at the shop. If you're ever in the area, let me know!
    - Bob

    ReplyDelete