Sunday, September 19, 2010

Saturday at the Hut - 9/18/10

At The Tobacco Hut on Saturday, I enjoyed a bowlful of Tinder Box Reserve 1928 in the Cassano I bought in Boston a couple months back. The Reserve 1928 is a wonderful blend of three Virginia tobaccos - Red Virginia, Orange Virginia, and Virginia Flake - and a touch of Burley. It has a great flavor and very pleasant room note. I've written about Reserve 1928 before, and I'm proud to say I worked for the gentleman who was instrumental in its final formula. Mike Spicer was my manager when I worked for Tinder Box in Columbus, Ohio many years ago. He is still the manager and a great guy with encyclopedic knowledge of all things pipes and baseball. I think I still have an unpaid tab that he hasn't written off yet (inside joke for Mike if he's reading!). Joe, you'd love him - he introduced me to NPR!

Speaking of NPR, Joe brought his iPad into the store when we needed to look something up on the Internet. I bought one for Paula for her birthday a couple months ago and she loves it. I get to play with it a little once in a while, but it's tough to get it away from her. Anyway, I borrowed Joe's iPad at the store and knowing how much he loves NPR, I thought I would do him a favor and download the NPR app. I wanted to surprise him with it, so tried to do it surreptitiously, but got hung up when it asked for Joe's password. I confessed to Joe what I was trying to do and he was very grateful that I, in fact, was not successful in my endeavor to open his mind. I'm sure Faux News has a "fair and balanced" app for the iPad, Joe!

Peter arrived and reported his success with his church fundraising auction last week. He also re-told some of the jokes that the hired entertainer, a Greek comedian, presented. A couple of the jokes were about butts and made us all a little uncomfortable. Just kidding. They were actually quite funny, especially the one about the coffee grounds (ask Peter to tell it when you see him). BTW, Lou donated a sampler pack of cigars for the event and Peter said that it garnered a $50 bid.

Looking forward to seeing New York Vic (now "Florida Vic"? "Bradenton Vic"? Palmetto Vic"?) who reports that he'll be visiting the Hut soon on a Saturday. Vic, let me know in advance if you can, and I'll spread the word that everyone's favorite retired corrections officer is visiting.

It's too bad Barry didn't show up. He would have seen Peter in rare form. Derek "Cheater" Jeter was brought up and Peter launched into a tirade about the Yankees captain, spitting expletives from his mouth like so many rotten watermelon seeds. Perhaps I've employed a touch of hyperbole, but safe to say that the respect Jeter has enjoyed throughout his career has lessened a bit.

Peter will be in Boston next Saturday and Joe's heading to Pennsylvania, so will have to wait a couple weeks before seeing them again. Paula and I might be furniture shopping so I may not be at the Hut either. Don't pout, Lou, you're always firing your best employees anyway.

BTW, we're shopping for a fold-out chair and a half to replace the daybed we want to get rid of. If anyone needs a nice day bed w/trundle, let me know!

Until next time...
 - Bob

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous, what kind of additional details do you need? Click on my profile and you'll find my e-mail address. Feel free to e-mail me.
    - Bob

    ReplyDelete