Saturday, January 3, 2009

Saturday at the Hut - 1/3/09



This was my first visit to The Tobacco Hut in two weeks as I took a Saturday off to visit with my son who was visiting from Ohio. It was good to see the gang again and catch up on the holiday happenings with everyone.

I brought in my new Cavicchi sandblasted volcano that Paula surprised me with on Christmas morning (pictured in an earlier post). This was its inaugural smoke and it delivered! I've heard nothing but good things about how this pipe smokes and I wasn't disappointed. And, thanks to Joe K., I tried a new tobacco. Joe traveled to Austin, Texas to visit family for the holidays and picked up a couple nice English blends for me at Heroes & Legacies, a local cigar and pipe shop.

I smoked the Blenheim blend and I'm not sure if this is the store's name for their own mix, or if it's the Cornell & Diehl blend by the same name. I've not had C&D's Blenheim, so can't be sure, but from the description on their website, it seems at first blush like it could be their tobacco. In any case, it's a delightful tobacco, light on the Latakia, and maybe just a hint of an aromatic, which leads me to believe that it could be from C&D, since their website indicates that they've added a bit of anise to the mixture. In some ways, it reminds me of Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe, light enough for the first pipe of the day, or an all-day smoke. The Cavicchi handled it well, and I smoked it down to nothing but ash. A big thank you to Joe for introducing me to this wonderful blend.

It looks like I may be covering the store for Lou & Dottie later this month or next as they're planning a weekend getaway. Always a treat for me, especially if I can introduce pipe smoking to a newcomer. My other "co-workers" were in attendance today, as mentioned Joe K. and Peter G. It was great seeing Peter as it's been a few weeks since we've both been in at the same time.

Paul V. came in and picked up another box full of cigars that customers had donated to the troops. I think this makes three good-sized boxes that he's shipped overseas now, and I know they're appreciated.

That's it for this week - be back with another report next Saturday.

Cheers!
- Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment