Friday, February 20, 2009

Today is International Pipe-Smoking Day!

February 20th is a day to celebrate pipe smoking around the world! To quote from the International Pipe-Smoking Day's Mission Statement, this day was created to "foster links across the globe in honor of friendship, benevolence, and tranquility; and to celebrate the fraternity of pipe-smokers across all borders."

As a pipe smoker, I can hardly think of a better way to promote the humble art of the briar. Pipe smoking truly is a noble activity that allows one to slow down, reflect, and even philosophize a little.

For my pipe smoking readers, I hope you were able to honor the day by raising a bowl to your brothers and sisters around the world. My work schedule prevented me from enjoying a pipe during the day, but I'm headed to the porch shortly to light up.

Our pastime received a boost in the way of an article on the front page of today's Wall Street Journal. Noting the reversal of a decade-long slide of pipe and tobacco sales and some growth in the last couple years, especially among young people, the article was balanced in its approach and presented our hobby in a very positive light.

I think I'll be smoking some Dunhill 965 in a small Ascorti Business finish tonight in honor of ISPD. Good night!

- Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment